In today’s digital world, cybercrime is one of the biggest threats faced by Internet users. Cybercrime refers to any crime that are committed through the Internet. Cybercrimes include activities such as phishing and hacking that are done with malicious objectives, such as conducting frauds, accessing and misusing data, and sending scam messages.
The malware, such as virus, worm, and spyware, which are created by cyber criminals have criminal objectives and the most common objectives are listed here:
- Unauthorized access of your computer
- Sending spam messages
- Compromising or stealing confidential information, such credentials to access bank account, pin
- Blackmailing users for financial gains against stolen confidential information
To protect yourself from cybercrime, you need to use multi-layer defenses as follows:
- Use anti-malware solutions: Use an anti-malware solution that has multiple protection features, such as signature-based detection and heuristic analysis.
- Keep yourself up-to-date: Be aware of the latest happenings through multiple channels, such as referring books, following media, and reading blogs.
- File a case: If you are affected by cybercrime, register a complaint against the cybercriminal with the cyber wing of the police.