In the last blog post, Are you safe in the digital world?, we discussed about the threats in the cyber world. In this post, we will discuss how to protect you from the security threats in the cyber world.
How do you stay secured in the cyber world? Take a few minutes to guess before going ahead and exploring this post. That will provide you an opportunity to assess your existing knowledge about data security!
Let us continue! Most of us spent a considerable time in the cyber world on a daily basis. We all love and enjoy using our computers, smart phones, and tabs for accessing the Internet. However, based on my analysis, most of us are not completely aware about the basic steps for staying safe in the complex cyber world. Here are few important tips that will save you from major data security issues, such as someone accessing your personal data without your knowledge:
- Use up-to-date software: The hackers and attackers are constantly upgrading themselves. Therefore, you should not leave any stone unturned. Use only the latest versions of software.
- Manage passwords: Have complex passwords for all your digital devices and keep changing the passwords on a regular basis. If you find it difficult to manage passwords, use a password manager. Additionally, never store your passwords in any third-party websites and applications.
- Update yourself: Keep accessing the latest information about data and Internet security so that you are constantly upgrading yourself with the latest security threats and the mitigation strategies.
- Manage your social and professional media: Do not accept friend requests and connection requests from strangers in social media and professional networking websites. Only interact with people you have met personally or professionally.
- Do not share confidential information: Never share any confidential information, such as the credit card information, to anyone through Internet. You may be opening the Pandora’s Box and your information may get compromised.
- Know your downloads: One of the common methods by which most of the digital devices, such as computer and malware, are affected is through downloads. Only download genuine software, apps, and products.
- Use public WIFI judiciously: Today, you have access to WIFI at several public locations. However, public WIFI has security issues associated with it and should not be used for confidential transactions, such as accessing your bank account.
- Log off: Whenever you log onto to any application or website, ensure to log off. One of the common habits of Internet users is to close the window or lock the computer with applications and websites logged on. Kill this practice!
These are few steps that every Internet users should follow to be smart and secure in today’s complex cyber world.
In the forthcoming posts, we will discuss more about the current and emerging aspects of security.